Thursday, May 29, 2008

Veggie Gardening

So I decided besides doing all my flower gardening this year I am going to try doing veggies in containers. I can't wait to get my little area off the deck set up and start planting my veggies. I am hoping by doing a container garden close to the house I will have more control of it. I tried a bed one year and the critters ate everything as it came up then the weeds took over, so maybe this way will be a little easier.

Here's what I'm trying
Amish paste tomato
Better boy tomato (I think that's what it was called)
Green pepper
A hot pepper (I forgot the name)
Yellow onions
Italian basil (I'm thinking I need a couple more basil varieties)
Cilantro (Im starting this by seed, I could not find a plant anywhere

I wanted to do a salsa garden so I think I pretty much have it covered. I think all of these will be great for spaghetti sauce too!

I got a rickety old table to put some of my containers on and then I have an old galvanized laundry tub on a stand. When we add on to the deck Im hoping to have a place to put my veggies.

Besides all those veggies I decided I wanted some green beans and thought why not buy the pole beans (which was pretty hard to find this late in the spring btw) and plant them to climb up the arbor. I also bought some goard & mini pumpkin seeds to climb the arbor. This all might be too much for it, but I would just be thrilled if my arbor was completely covered this year, and how cool will it look this fall when the goard & pumpkins are hanging off of it. We'll see if what I envision actually happens :)

Well that's it for now. If it's not raining after work I hope to get more planted. I would get more done if the pesky gnats & mosquitos weren't trying to carry me away as soon as I walk outside and I swear insect spray doesn't even phase them.

No comments: